Brighton and Hove Pupil Referral Unit
Equality information and objectives 2017-18
Fostering good relations objectives
Foster good relations across all characteristics – between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
- Increase from 83% to 100% the number of pupils/students who report that the PRU helps them to understand and respect people from other backgrounds
- Continue to promote and enhance positive images which reflect the diversity of the school and community in terms of ethnicity, gender, disability and a range of sexual orientations, for example in books, publications and learning materials in classroom/corridor displays and in newsletters
Eliminating discrimination objectives
Eliminate discrimination and other conduct that is prohibited by the Act.
- To increase from 96% (Staff Survey, summer term 2017) to 100% the numbers of staff who report they are confident that the school deals with any causes of bullying effectively (bullying includes persistent name calling, cyber, racist and homophobic bullying).
- To continue to improve systems for reporting and recording bullying incidents by types.
Advance equality of opportunity objectives
Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
- To increase the average point score of BME pupils on leaving the PRU in Year 11 in August 2018 (from 83 in August 2015) to match or exceed the average point score of all pupils on leaving the PRU in 2018 (91 in August 2015)
- To continue to promote opportunities for boys and girls to learn more about career opportunities which challenge gender stereotyping (need to survey pupils via PSHE before and after survey looking at potential career choices).
- For the PRU to produce a bespoke in house survey to gauge student opinion on gender stereotyping in careers.